Creeping toward that 1.0 final

· by Steve · Read in about 2 min · (321 Words)

I’ve been trying to take it a little easier this last week since the RC1 release since I needed a bit of a break. I’ve largely succeeded, although there have been some bugs found in wider user testing of RC1 which have needed addressing; which was the whole point of doing a release candidate of course. As of right now all the serious ones have been fixed and things are looking pretty peachy for the final.

I’ve started working on an SDK installer for Windows using NSIS, and I’m liking it a lot. Simple yet powerful. We also have a new website to work on, temas has been doing most of the work on that in Mambo but I’ve been having a tinker too, it’s quality stuff. Our new site will make more of a distinction between the ‘User’ and the ‘Developer’ since we’re aiming at being more newbie-friendly after the 1.0.0 final (God help us!). Luckily we’ve got OGRE MVPs in place to help with the support and they’re doing a great job keeping them at bay 😉 I just have to run through all the docs before the final, especially the tutorials which have gotten a little out of date.

On the subject of tutorials, the Unofficial OGRE Wiki has been a big success, with lots of people pitching in and submitting documentation corrections, new tutorials, code snippets and lots of other things. We’re so happy with it, we’re making it official and subsuming it into the main OGRE site.

I’m bracing myself for the onslaught after 1.0.0 final. We did absolutely no publicity for RC1, and yet we’ve been swamped - 97 simultaneous forum users last week, 20k hits a day, and my referrer logs burning with new linkers from all sorts of places, in many languages I can’t read. Goodness knows what it’ll be like when we actually advertise the final. I think we created a monster…