I’ve said before that I’m not a frequent desktop Linux user. It’s certainly my operating system of choice on servers (where I like to use Debian if possible), but it’s still a much harder sell on the desktop for me. That’s mostly down to 2 things - X configuration issues and applications. I’ll cover the X issues later (I never use X on servers which is why it never bothers me) but on the application front, I find it very hard to feel 100% happy and productive without Visual Studio, Photoshop and to a lesser extent iTunes 😀The former is still the primary reason, you can fault it’s compiler but the Visual Studio debugger is still without equal in my opinion, which easily pays for itself in time saved.
I tackled a few varied tasks today. One was addressing a bug in the rubber-band selection code I’d written, since it became bizarrely clear to me as I was sipping my tea very late last night that under orthographic projection it should never work. Oddly it had seemed to work but I hadn’t had have time to properly stress test it, and I think it must have been a fluke. Funny how these things occur to you when you’re not concentrating on them.
Yes, I am at the moment merrily tucking into my own dog food, whilst working hard on my editor project. It’s far from the first time of course, typically the majority of contract work I do for others is using OGRE and as such I’ve had my fair share of experiencing it from a user perspective. And you know what, it’s actually pretty tasty. I spend an awful lot of time working in a bubble of sorts, advising people how to use OGRE in their products and trying to make it both powerful, flexible and intuitive at the same time - it’s actually really nice to step away from that and work on a specific application of my own, and not have to worry about anyone else’s problems, about generality, about how this feature might be used by others, about whether feature A is appropriate for both B and C - I just have to make it work the way I want, then I stop.
I’ve been using wxWidgets quite a lot over the last week and a bit, and I’m now just at the stage where I’m comfortable using it. I’ve used quite a few windowing systems before (including raw Win32, MFC, VB, Java, .Net and a few esoteric tool-specific ones) and they’re all much of a muchness once you get down to it - however each still has it’s own implementation nuances and it can take a while to get settled.
I’m been having some really annoying issues with my internet connection for the last 36 hours or so. CVS has been really playing up especially, which has scuppered my ability to do some cross-branch merging that I’ve been wanting to catch up with. It’s been really odd - mostly browsing & downloading has been fine, albeit feeling pretty slow when opening new web pages, navigating around etc, and small CVS operations like diffs and log viewing has been generally ok, but if I try a global update or merge, I’m in hangsville.
I’ve never actually attended a webinar before, until today. That’s for a range of reasons, including that I haven’t seen one that interested me much, and the fact that the word ‘webinar’ somewhat irritates me - another new buzzword that the world didn’t really need. How hard it is to say ‘online seminar’ anyway? I can’t say ‘webinar’ out loud without feeling like a total tit yet; it’s all I can do to type it without shuddering.
So, one of the things I’ve been doing over the last couple of days is getting to know wxWidgets a little. I’d always said that if I was going to write a cross-platform GUI tool, that wxWidgets would be my first port of call because it’s native code and is proven to work well on the major platforms I’m interested in - Code::Blocks is the primary poster child there. Sure, I could have used .
It’s been a bit of a ‘bitty’ start to the week after the Easter break, I of course had a ton of email / forum posts to catch up on to begin with. One nice outcome of that was seeing what is AFAIK the first dedicated OSX-only application using Ogre, Live Interior 3D. Looks pretty darned nice too. There is also the Summer of Code which came to a head yesterday - we had a last-minute conflict come up with Mozilla which had to be sorted out.
I’m spending an awful lot of time thinking right now. I tend to do this after each major release but this time they’re bigger thoughts than usual. Perhaps most significantly, I’m now actively planning Ogre v2.0 - and given how reticent we were to call Ogre v1.0, you can imagine that this has to be something rather significant. We’ve decided to parallelise the development of the next 2 major versions of Ogre in fact (as well as doing maintainance releases of Eihort of course).