Wow. Demonstrating typical student behaviour in the face of a deadline, in the last hours leading up to the Summer of Code student application deadline our application count almost doubled. In fact, Google had to extend the deadline to this morning (PST) because some students were having problems submitting, I guess because they were all trying to get in at once 😀 We’ve had over 50 applications now, and whilst a small handful are discardable, clearly having been given no thought at all, the vast majority seem to be of a decent quality.
Just a quick note - Dagon 1.2.0 (final) is out now, so Dagon is now officially the stable, maintenance release of OGRE, nudging out Azathoth after a year on the throne. It’s been a hectic day since as well as the release we’ve had the plasterers in to do our lounge & dining rooms, had an AGM for the company, and spent a little time helping my wife’s parent’s sort out a few bits since they’re moving soon.
Ok with a bit of manual copying of the Ogre.framework into /Libraries, I got some of the demos to work in OSX. Not sure if that’s what I’m supposed to do, especially since this doesn’t let you have Developement and Deployment (Debug / Release I assume) builds alongside each other, but it will do for my purposes now. Not all of the demos work, some don’t because of the more limited graphical capabilities of the machine, and for some reason Lighting gives me a zerolink error when I fire it up - that puzzles me since Lighting doesn’t use any libs the others don’t already.
Well, it started off well but ground to a halt pretty quickly. It’s become clear that the mechanism OSX uses to determine library loading paths is a bit different than other systems I’ve used, and/or there’s something fundamental I don’t understand about frameworks / bundles. I can get Ogre.framework to build just fine, linking all the libraries it needs. But as soon as I try to link anything else to Ogre.
You might be surprised to read that I’m blogging this from a PowerBook G4 (titanium, no less), courtesy of my generous friend and all round nice bloke Damien. He’s let me borrow it for a while since he now has a spiffy new MacBook Pro, so I can try to get the OSX builds for OGRE in order. I have set myself the slightly daunting task of learning how to use XCode and getting at least the projects in order by the time we do the release tomorrow, although if I hit any major issues I will have to do a further update later on.
Well, that didn’t take long - UPS (or rather their rather slower and much lazier local agents) delivered me a fresh copy of 3ds Max 8 today from those nice people at Autodesk. I was gratified to find no dongle in the box (I really don’t need another one of those in the back of the machine), just an online activation process which was remarkably quick and simple. Everything went smoothly on install, except for the fact that I had to choose and run each of the six or seven component install processes manually since the DVD launcher kept crashing.
Lesta Studios / Buka released a playable demo of Pacific Storm today; I only got a very quick chance to try it but it looks pretty impressive. I’m not much of a strategy / tactical gamer myself but I know people who are, and will revel in this kind of game - in fact it was quite funny to be told in the street a few days ago by a friend I hadn’t seen for a while that they had been looking forward to this, and only found out afterwards that it was powered by OGRE.
Here’s an interesting technique I’ve been getting working for the past couple of days (when I’ve had time) - attaching compositors to shadow textures, allowing in this case a soft-shadow effect through the application of a gaussian blur on the GPU. Since shadow textures render much like a regular window, the method for applying this compositor is exactly like setting up a compositor anywhere else, you just have to grab the shadow texture’s render target and apply it.
I was getting a little concerned because I hadn’t been able to contact two pretty important contributors to OGRE about the Eihort licensing, and could envisage us having to spend a fair amount of time rewriting these contributions only to hear back from them afterwards to say it would have been ok. Luckily the awesome connectivity power of the OGRE community came into it’s own once again, and even though a month and many, many email addresses later hadn’t got me in contact, two days with the help of the wider community and the issue was resolved.
Thanks to Thorsten at Deck13, I now have a copy of the English version of Ankh. 😀I only had a short time to play it today but I’ve enjoyed it so far. The game is very solidly put together, it feels nicely polished. I chuckled at the reference to Guy Al Brush who went to sea and never returned, and I liked how you can question the mercenaries at the start about whether it’s actually possible to die in the game, therefore it being pointless that they threaten you.