I just noticed over at the Pacific Storm website that PC Gamer UK has a preview on the game this month (Page 1 Page 2 - not really sure if they’re allowed to publish those shots of the mag, but hey, they’re in Russia so I guess they’re not likely to get any trouble). Pacific Storm has had a fair bit of coverage around and about (I spotted an E3 report about it last year), and it’s certainly an ambitious project, I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Stop fantasizing about Carol Vorderman. No, this is the countdown to OGRE 1.2.0 RC1, and I managed to get everything that was essential done today - the critical patches, documentation and testing in Linux. It was a bit of a rush - I’d hoped to get my Linux build environment sorted out last weekend, but hardware problems saw to that. Luckily getting OGRE built on Ubuntu really wasn’t that hard at all so I managed to sort it out.
I had the day off today, with the intention of getting through some of the outstanding work needing to be done in time for Dagon (OGRE 1.2.0) to hit RC1. Well, it turned into one of ‘those’ days - the ones where you seem to spend eternity not getting very much done at all. Although luckily this one does have a happy ending. The crux of the bug that I had on my hitlist today was the fact that stencil shadows were misbehaving when used in combination with the compositor framework (full screen post processing effects, doable for a while in OGRE but very, very easily scriptable in Dagon to produce groovy effects like this), but only in OpenGL.
Another IP just lost their connectivity to the OGRE site for a denial-of-service attack. Pretty basic stuff, a script by the looks hammering the same URL over and over, didn’t even try to follow any links or spoof a valid-looking User-Agent. It brought the server to its knees all the same, so they’re out. If you’re in Sweden and you suddenly lost www.ogre3d.org connectivity in the last 30 minutes, you now know why.
I managed to plough through the majority of the Debian install on my new (well, recyled mostly) server today; pretty much all the software is there but it will need some more configuration and fine-tuning before it’s ready to replace the limping Gentoo server. The speed at which I could get everything on the box, starting from only a minimal boot CD is a testament to the wonders of apt and related tools.
Well, coding has been on the back burner today as I rejig my hardware to recover from the damage done a few days ago to the sensitive electronics in my home network by the sinister Captain Power Spike. Amazon and Overclockers have been their usual speedy selves, so my wireless and ADSL connections are restored to their previous state, with the small advantage that the new modem can handle ADSL2+, should it become available over here (for a fee which doesn’t require the auctioning of one or more of my organs), and I’ve shunted the firewall / VPN responsibilities off the Linux server to the dedicated hardware.
In between getting a new Linux desktop install up and running and fiddling with busted PSUs (I bought 2 new surge protection strips this morning), I’ve implemented what is likely to be the last new feature I’ll add to Dagon before release, ‘material schemes’. You can now associate any Technique you define in a material with a named ‘scheme’, the default setting being, rather unimaginatively, a scheme called ‘Default’. Material schemes are a way of switching the preferred techniques used to render your objects, allowing you to implement many different paths and choose between them.
I got home today to discover that the PSU on my mini-Linux server had blown, and it’s turning out to be very difficult to find a simple replacement - this particular PSU was one of the early small form factor ones made by Chyang Fun and as such nobody seems to stock them anymore. I could buy a completely new case but that’s a bit of a waste. I need this machine since it’s my main mail repository, test web server, and the machine I build OGRE releases on.
This is another nice thing to see in VC8 since I’ve upgraded my machine: 5>—— Build started: Project: Plugin_OctreeSceneManager, Configuration: Debug Win32 —— 6>—— Build started: Project: Plugin_ParticleFX, Configuration: Debug Win32 —— 5>Compiling… 6>Compiling… 6>OgreScaleAffector.cpp 5>OgreTerrainVertexProgram.cpp 5>Generating Code… 5>Compiling… 5>OgreHeightmapTerrainPageSource.cpp 6>Generating Code… Yep, that looks a little odd because it’s interleaving the building of 2 projects at once - ‘5>’ is one build process, ‘6>’ is the other. This isn’t really news, but I didn’t have a HT chip before so never saw this until this week.
Well, I finally got my SATA drive issues resolved. As briefly discussed in the comments of the last post, on looking at the detail of the drive I noticed that whilst mine was in the same model range of those affected by the bad implementation of NCQ (DiamondMax 10, model number starting with 6B), the firmware version on mine was a few notches below that supposedly affected by the bug (mine is BANC1B10, the affected version in this family is BANC1B70).