I’m getting close to finishing the pose animation support in XSI, for example here’s some data exported from the XSI facial animation tutorial: Poses can be blended together at different weights using your animation tracks in order to give the scripted expressions required to play back pre-scripted sequences, such as speech or just a cutscene. Or you can dynamically alter the blending basically by dynamically tweaking custom active tracks. It all adds up to a very flexible vertex animation system, perfect for the sorts of things you’ll use vertex animation for these days (and of course it can be vertex shader powered easily, an important issue for OGRE’s design goal of moving as much as possible to the GPU).
Good news, MS have resolved the iostream memory leak in VS 2005. The question is now when they’re going to release it as a service pack. The last information I have is ‘first half of 2006’ which is rather uncomfortably vague. 😕 My one hope is that, judging by the number of people bitching around the net about problems with the .Net 2.0 elements of VS 2005 it (which I don’t use at the moment), that MS will make this earlier rather than later.
Well, we’ve had a good starting response to the OGRE on consoles survey, close to 100 respondents already, most of which have been quite positive. Hopefully that will continue and we can see really what the community thinks of the idea and whether it’s financially viable. There have been a few negative comments, which I was braced for, and I’d like to deal with the most common ones here now.
Well, for me 2006 certainly didn’t begin with a bang, it was really more of a quiet ‘frrp’. I’m finally recovering from this flu which has hung on well beyond it’s welcome, and starting to get back into doing something productive even though I can feel that I’m still not firing on all cylinders. I’ve mostly been fixing a few issues in pose animation, raised by people who have jumped in on the Dagon CVS copy to play around.
I’ve been a long user of STLport, a portable implementation of the STL because the STL implementation in VC6 and VC7.0 has horrendous bugs, especially over DLL boundaries. Hence, I’ve never had a good opinion of Microsoft’s ability to implement the STL well (or rather, Dinkumware’s since MS just licensed it from them - but I like to point the blame at the person that took my money, personally ;)). VC7.
There’s literally nothing to report here since I’ve been completely floored by one of the worst cases of flu I can remember having; it’s been almost a week now since I first started getting symptoms and apart from moving about (2 days throat problems, 2 days chest infection, 2 days sinus problems) it really hasn’t budged. The last few days have been the worst of all since my entire head feels like it’s been packed with that slowly expanding foam you use to seal window frames - doing anything at all hasn’t been pleasant so sleeping has been the only feasible passtime to be had.
Visual Studio 2005 Pro arrived today, a little earlier than I’d been warned it might be, and just in the nick of time to fall within the year of it’s name. I’m now in the process of switching wholesale to VC++ 2005 for all my development. I had to update Visual Assist X, which now requires a yearly fee to get updated versions, which is not unreasonable considering it’s a great product, and the fee isn’t huge (a tenth of the price of VS itself).
I received a parcel yesterday containing some new OGRE Goodies from CafePress - 2 T-shirts and a mousemat. My old OGRE mousemat was getting tatty so I figured it was time to get a new one, with the new logo we’ve had since 1.0, and that I should replace the previous style T-shirts I bought mainly to publicise OGRE at the GDC just over a year ago. I was very pleased with how the mousemat turned out especially, very high quality - although having a white background it will undoubtedly get grubby rather quick.
I’ve just been adding some additional point rendering options to OGRE, specifically to allow hardware point sprites as well as more control over point sizes and their attenuation. Firstly, there was the problem that D3D and GL differ on how exactly to specify point sizes, but some creative mapping has resolved that (I decided on pixel size when attenuation is disabled, and viewport-relative size when it’s enabled, which maps nicely to both 3D sprites and to normal points).