It’s only lunchtime, but today has been awesome. Firstly, the EU Software Patents Directive has been thrown out by the parliament by a massive majority, against all my fears. Finally, politicians listened to the majority of people rather than to the over-inflated corporate lobbyists. Huzzah! That alone would have made this a great day, but on top of that, I just heard that London has won the race to host the 2012 Olympics, beating favorites Paris.
I’ve nailed most of the main things on my TODO - sometime I have to get around to enhancing some exporters to support the hardware & software morph animation, but I really got quite a lot of disparate things done recently. 1.0.3 won’t be that long, Dagon will still be on the boil for a few months yet, mainly because it’s now a background task. I finally started a new project, and I’m quite excited about it.
I decided a while ago that I would buy either the DS or the PSP, but I’ve been holding off making a final decision on which one until the game lineup became clearer. So, several months on from both releases, and with E3 done, now was the moment of truth. You might have pegged me for a PSP owner, given the whizzier visuals and dreamy screen, and to be honest that was my original intention, having seen the unit at the GDC last year and being impressed.
Whilst OGRE is pressing on, what with 1.0.2 recently (and some more fixes since then), and Dagon with it’s pleasant smattering of new features, I can’t help acknowledging that I’m in something of a funk right now. I can’t actually remember a time when my motivation was lower than it has been over the past couple of weeks - I’m finding myself approaching the forums with some level of dread at the work they might generate, current Dagon work is going much slower than it could be and generally fails to spark my interest, and whilst I have some great ‘next step’ projects in early phases, something within me asks ‘will it be worth it?
Damien fired a music meme at me on Friday, presumably to test whether I have any remaining connection to the world beyond that of little spinning cubes (shiny, shiny cubes they are). So here we are: Total volume of music files on my computer: At present, 4.53GB, although I still have a stack of CDs next to my desk that I really must get around to ripping sometime… Song playing right now:
Human rights are very popular these days. In some ways this is good, such as empowering the genuinely oppressed and disadvantaged; in some ways bad, such as giving natural wingemongerers a perfect conduit to lobby that society does in fact owe them a living. But one of the worst things about human rights is that we can no longer string people up by their genitalia in damp, rat-infested dungeons, no matter how very, very badly they deserve it.
I’ve been having a good hack at the patch mountain over the last few days, and have got it down to a reasonable size again. I’m now working on a few Dagon features - the sortable billboards / particles code is in using my new radix sort class, and I’m currently beavering away at allowing the registration of MovableObjectFactory instances, for simple plugging in of custom object creators. I’m also tweaking the SceneQuery code a little to make it deal with larger numbers of object types a little better.
Well, I got back to XSI today, and rewrote the IK sampler a different way to avoid the problems I’d been getting whilst trying to sample into another ActionSource. It now means there are 2 completely different paths through the exporter, rather than IK sampling being an extra preprocessing step. Luckily, the new approach works beautifully, so I’ll be able to release a new version of the exporter now. 😀I just need to tidy up the material exporting a little, but that’s no biggie.
Out of the blue last week, I had an email from none other than the Sony PS3 graphic architect, who also happens to be one of the head honchos at the Collada project. The project is all about the open interchange of 3D assets between tools and engines, which is definitely a good thing. There have been attempts at this before, but either the formats have been controlled by one vendor (FBX, dotXSI), or they’ve been generalised a little too much (VRML, X3D), making them difficult to use effectively.
While waiting for a resolution to my XSI IK sampling problems (in discussion with SoftImage), I started work on a radix sort class, since one of the patches I was processing needed some changes for 1.0 (billboard / particle sorting), and I figured I might as well implement a radix sort instead of the quicksort that was there while I was at it. For those who don’t know what a radix sort is, read Pierre Terdiman’s article on the subject.