Sorry, I can’t help but use Star Wars final-trench-run-related quotes when talking about releases, it’s just so natural a metaphor. In this case I’m wittering about the fact that OGRE 1.4.0 is now final. Oh yes - that means it has it’s own CVS branch (v1-4) and is the officially supported version now. Bye-bye Dagon, we liked you a lot, even though you had that whole fish-smell thing going on, but now it’s Eihort’s turn.
It’s had really quite mixed reviews but I knew immediately on watching the trailer that I wanted to see 300. I’m always a sucker for good historical fantasy, or just fantasy in general, having a special place in my heart for classics like Conan the Barbarian and Lord of the Rings on the one hand, and even unintentionally comedic nonsense like Hawk the Slayer on the other. It’s all good.
I just read today that US airports are going to start taking all 10 fingerprints from visitors instead of the 2 they’ve been taking in recent years - which in itself was quite surprising to me when I got there last year. Seems clutching a British passport doesn’t mean much anymore. This is apparently going to help them catch more terrorists, on top of the 34 pieces of personal information they make airlines hand over about passengers on inbound flights.
Whilst I was transferring data across from the old OGRE server, I made a point of making sure I archived all the old stats for future reference. I also pulled out the download stats from Sourceforge to get a complete picture. They all pretty much show the same trends, and that leads me to believe that despite the fact that the new server is coping with the traffic load extremely well, even to the extent that I might have over specified it, the growth room is definitely needed.
So, I had the first of what was to be 2 dentist appointments this week, to try to sort out some lingering problems detected on X-Ray of some impacted wisdom teeth I had removed a while ago. It was pretty uncomfortable, even though they shot me full of so much anaesthetic that my jaw didn’t come around for over 4 hours and I was forced to walk around town trying not to look like a stroke victim.
If you don’t read xkcd already, I urge you to do so regularly, it’s really quite funny. There are lots of webcomics around obviously, but I have 3 main favorites, all for subtley different reasons: User Friendly, because it’s always taking witty pops at the big corporations and cuts across pretty much every element of IT, Penny Arcade for its game focus and unapologeticly visceral humour, and xkcd because of its, well, quaintness and subtlety.
Well, I had a bit of a rant about glMapBuffer yesterday on the blog, and I was lucky enough that an acquaintance at nVidia read it and sent me some tips from one of their GL driver gurus. Splendid 😀 Having pored over that, I found that I’d tried most of what he mentioned but he made specific reference to the size of the updates being significant. This I hadn’t really experimented with, so I decided to revisit the whole situation again today (apologies to my wife Marie again here, I know it’s the weekend but this really can’t wait ;)).
And lo, it came to pass that several users of the green-headed abomination known as Ogre did throw up their hands and bemoan the most uncanny and unjust chasm that existed between the lands of D3D and OpenGL. For some of these poor souls, their torrid creations did speed - nay, rocket - on the one, whilst something of a laggard they became on the other. Much disquiet there was among the gathered hordes, and it did trouble those whose craft it was to deduce the matter’s origin.
You already know this if you frequent the OGRE site, but we got accepted for the Google Summer of Code again this year, which is awesome. I know from experience that it’s a fair amount of work, especially around the ‘pinch points’ like the application process and milestones, but it’s really worth it. I only realised this morning that today was decision day for the organisations so had to rush around updating some documentation and reading up on this year’s procedures.
I only started analysing web traffic on the Ogre site by country properly since the server move yesterday, using the free version of Maxmind’s IP-to-country lookup GeoLite. Whilst not quite as accurate or as detailed (ie you don’t get City locations) as their commercial offerings, it claims 98% reliability for countries which is good enough for me. I’ve used simple IP range lookups before (e.g. to automatically redirect book links to Amazon.