I’m taking a break right now, which is why my quotient of inane ramblings has decreased at faster rate than the national average, both here and via all other electronic channels. We hadn’t arranged a ‘proper’ holiday this year, which was down to a number of uncertainty factors running the gamut of work, Ogre, and home improvements - we almost booked something a few times, but then something else came up - repairs needing doing, opportunity to go to Siggraph, work deadlines changing, etc etc.
The only paper games magazine I get anymore is Edge, mostly because it covers all formats and takes a very mature & sophisticated approach to games. This month I was reading through it and to my surprise I noticed that their ‘Internet Game of the Month’ was The Blob - a game based on OGRE. I guess I shouldn’t have been that surprised - The Blob is a really fun game and a superb piece of work from Oogst and his compatriots (they’ve had a mention in major French gaming mag ‘Joystick’, got an award at GameTunnel and probably more), but I guess I still haven’t got over seeing stuff I’ve contributed to popping up unexpectedly in the ‘real’ world.
I use a fair amount of scrap paper. It’s no secret that I like it to brainstorm on, write todo notes, message myself if I wake up in the middle of the night suddenly and inexplicably knowing what that bug I was bashing my head against into the early hours was caused by, making paper planes, that kind of thing. For most of these things, I don’t think I could use an electronic replacement.
You might have seen this on the OGRE forums, but Digital-Tutors has released a new DVD which covers using XSI to create game characters, using OGRE as the target engine. It’s on their front page right now in fact, nice banner. I’ve never actually used one of their DVDs before, but they had a pretty big presence at Siggraph when I was there, and were running a whole load of XSI tutorials over at the Softimage booth, which I You might have seen this on the OGRE forums, but Digital-Tutors has released a new DVD which covers using XSI to create game characters, using OGRE as the target engine.
Somehow I don’t think the Karate Kid would have done quite so well at the end if he’d used his initiative and used a power sander instead of following the teachings of a wise old Okinawan gentleman. Still, it’s clearly a lot faster when it comes to getting the job done, as demonstrated by the latest pictures of our lounge. We’ve had people round repairing, filling and sanding, and the lounge floor is now starting to look pretty good.
I don’t know how many of you have already seen this, but it had me grinning: Lego Star Wars 2 Trailer. Lego Star Wars was a charming little game that didn’t take itself seriously, poked fun out of Star Wars and kept you chuckling at the in-jokes. The sequel is based on the original trilogy, which of course is from when Star Wars was actually good, and not a hammily-acted, attrociously scripted, Jar-Jar Binks infested shambles that Episodes I-III would unfortunately become.
I’ve mentioned this before on my blog, but there was a time when I used to spend ages reading game previews, and would wait with bated breath for a single game to come out and play it as soon as it was available. These days, that rarely happens - I have so little time for playing games that I’m finding I’m picking up 2 or 3 year old games from Internet bargin bins more often than not, and I’m quite enjoying it.
I decided today to release the work I’d done on project ‘Kadath’ under the GPL - and now that the code is freely available you can see I’d planned to call it ‘World Minion’, to represent that it scuttled around doing all the dirty work for you 😉 What it basically does is take any completely generic polygon soup and turns it into a structured level, based on the technique described in this paper.
So, this week is about catching up with a lot of fragmented things before I pick off something more meaty next week. Mostly that means fixing bugs and addressing small enhancements. Those pesky artists found another bug in the XSI exporter, the little tykes, so I fixed that yesterday - in this case negative bind scalings on bones were throwing out the export. None of my test cases had that before so it slipped through.