Just a quick note - Dagon 1.2.0 (final) is out now, so Dagon is now officially the stable, maintenance release of OGRE, nudging out Azathoth after a year on the throne. It’s been a hectic day since as well as the release we’ve had the plasterers in to do our lounge & dining rooms, had an AGM for the company, and spent a little time helping my wife’s parent’s sort out a few bits since they’re moving soon.
Ok with a bit of manual copying of the Ogre.framework into /Libraries, I got some of the demos to work in OSX. Not sure if that’s what I’m supposed to do, especially since this doesn’t let you have Developement and Deployment (Debug / Release I assume) builds alongside each other, but it will do for my purposes now. Not all of the demos work, some don’t because of the more limited graphical capabilities of the machine, and for some reason Lighting gives me a zerolink error when I fire it up - that puzzles me since Lighting doesn’t use any libs the others don’t already.
Well, it started off well but ground to a halt pretty quickly. It’s become clear that the mechanism OSX uses to determine library loading paths is a bit different than other systems I’ve used, and/or there’s something fundamental I don’t understand about frameworks / bundles. I can get Ogre.framework to build just fine, linking all the libraries it needs. But as soon as I try to link anything else to Ogre.
You might be surprised to read that I’m blogging this from a PowerBook G4 (titanium, no less), courtesy of my generous friend and all round nice bloke Damien. He’s let me borrow it for a while since he now has a spiffy new MacBook Pro, so I can try to get the OSX builds for OGRE in order. I have set myself the slightly daunting task of learning how to use XCode and getting at least the projects in order by the time we do the release tomorrow, although if I hit any major issues I will have to do a further update later on.
I’ve been a user of Norton AntiVirus (note: not the lumbering behemoth that is Internet Security) for a few years now; I was aware that it wasn’t getting as good reviews as it used to get around the time I originally bought it, but I rolled on with the updates & resubscriptions anyway because the differences really weren’t significant enough to outweigh the inertia (and my natural sloth). Besides I thought, the favorite tends to switch around every year or two anyway for fairly subtle reasons.
Well, that didn’t take long - UPS (or rather their rather slower and much lazier local agents) delivered me a fresh copy of 3ds Max 8 today from those nice people at Autodesk. I was gratified to find no dongle in the box (I really don’t need another one of those in the back of the machine), just an online activation process which was remarkably quick and simple. Everything went smoothly on install, except for the fact that I had to choose and run each of the six or seven component install processes manually since the DVD launcher kept crashing.
Lesta Studios / Buka released a playable demo of Pacific Storm today; I only got a very quick chance to try it but it looks pretty impressive. I’m not much of a strategy / tactical gamer myself but I know people who are, and will revel in this kind of game - in fact it was quite funny to be told in the street a few days ago by a friend I hadn’t seen for a while that they had been looking forward to this, and only found out afterwards that it was powered by OGRE.
Here’s an interesting technique I’ve been getting working for the past couple of days (when I’ve had time) - attaching compositors to shadow textures, allowing in this case a soft-shadow effect through the application of a gaussian blur on the GPU. Since shadow textures render much like a regular window, the method for applying this compositor is exactly like setting up a compositor anywhere else, you just have to grab the shadow texture’s render target and apply it.
April 29th. Today was an epic journey of adventure and discovery as, armed with a wide array of sharp implements both motorised and traditional, I endeavoured to beat back Mother Nature and find the source of the ‘bottom lawn’, rumoured to exist at the end of our garden. A trip to the local purveyor of adventuring supplies, resulted in my very badly treated, flagging workhorse (a 10-year old mower whose oil hadn’t been changed nearly as often as it should have been) being replaced with a brand new one, which was begging for some action.
You probably already know about this, but the new name for the Revolution is the Wii. Daft name, which will undoubtedly keep internet forums buzzing with puns for the next decade - I don’t think Nintendo have ever been so obviously Japanese and naive about western translation since Donkey Kong. An absurd decision that NOA are already having to defend. Poorly. 😀 Unless of course it’s all a ploy to get people talking about it more, in which case it’s succeeded.