Well, I’ve been pulling in a few different directions the early part of this week, including fixing a few bugs here and there and finalising some contract work. Will return to the HDR issue tomorrow - it’s quite interesting reading about the various practical approaches, all of which are much more complex than the tech demos you’ll find in the Dx9 SDK et al. Still, even though I’d quite like to experiment with some more advanced techniques, I realise I don’t have the time to burn so will implement the traditional approach at first, and will come back to more complex scenarios later.
I finally finished going over the patches submitted to OGRE this weekend, and the permission requests for extending the OGRE license model in Eihort have gone out. In the end there were 60 people we had to approach, from a little over 500 patches. Responses have already started trickling in. I finally got back to working on a HDR compositor this evening (there are now 13 compositors in the compositor demo, so this will make it 14).
Well, looks like Vista (the OS previously known as Longhorn) has fallen back into it’s old ways and has slipped again. 2007 is the year of the Vista now, allegedly. I doubt anyone familiar with this story will be surprised. My reaction? Firstly, disinterest. I’ve discovered that I find it really hard to care when Vista arrives, because I’ve still yet to find anything which makes we want to run out and buy it; and most of the people I speak to feel the same way, even hardcore techs.
One of the things I was catching up on this weekend was a little bit of contract work, which I can’t talk about specifically but let’s just say it was about porting some code to pure Direct3D. It’s been a while since I had to write everything in regular D3D code - all the D3D code I write these days is to add features to the existing OGRE base, and that’s not so bad, in small doses.
I’m taking a little time out from OGRE this week; I’m still around in the forums but am not that much time coding. I have a little contract work I promised I’d do, and other than that I’m mopping up a bunch of other things that got pushed to the sidelines in the recent crunch period, including sorting out my home network and servers. Back soon.
It’s always nice to read blogs where people convert to OGRE from another engine to see what they think. I especially like reading entries like this: It’s always nice to read blogs where people convert to OGRE from another engine to see what they think. I especially like reading entries like this: It’s been over 12 hours since the release and nothing major has arisen, I think I can breathe out now.
It’s OUT! Yes, a year of hard work by many people has finally come to fruition. Jeff, JianHua and I were all online at the same time this morning to organise it all (11am for me, 7am for Jeff and 7pm for JianHua - as you can tell we’re not all online at the same time very often!), and it mostly went smoothly, just a couple of last-minute things as always but nothing show-stopping.
I just noticed over at the Pacific Storm website that PC Gamer UK has a preview on the game this month (Page 1 Page 2 - not really sure if they’re allowed to publish those shots of the mag, but hey, they’re in Russia so I guess they’re not likely to get any trouble). Pacific Storm has had a fair bit of coverage around and about (I spotted an E3 report about it last year), and it’s certainly an ambitious project, I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Stop fantasizing about Carol Vorderman. No, this is the countdown to OGRE 1.2.0 RC1, and I managed to get everything that was essential done today - the critical patches, documentation and testing in Linux. It was a bit of a rush - I’d hoped to get my Linux build environment sorted out last weekend, but hardware problems saw to that. Luckily getting OGRE built on Ubuntu really wasn’t that hard at all so I managed to sort it out.
I had the day off today, with the intention of getting through some of the outstanding work needing to be done in time for Dagon (OGRE 1.2.0) to hit RC1. Well, it turned into one of ‘those’ days - the ones where you seem to spend eternity not getting very much done at all. Although luckily this one does have a happy ending. The crux of the bug that I had on my hitlist today was the fact that stencil shadows were misbehaving when used in combination with the compositor framework (full screen post processing effects, doable for a while in OGRE but very, very easily scriptable in Dagon to produce groovy effects like this), but only in OpenGL.