Let’s stop labelling people. We label ourselves, in order to gain acceptance from others, to feel like part of a larger whole, or to claim some kind of “identity”. A neat, easily-parsed silhouette which can be presented as shorthand, like some kind of personality hash. It’s not accurate, but it’s simpler, faster and often more palatable than the hazy, shifting reality. Worse is when we apply labels perjoratively to others; usually it’s to build straw men, their primary purpose to faciliate bad-faith arguments, most commonly on social media.
I’ve had a few friends ask me why we chose the name Old Doorways for our new game development venture. I’ve repeated the explanation enough times now that I figured it was worth blogging about, in case anyone else was wondering. The struggle is real As anyone who has had to name anything - a company, a product, a small human - will know, names are hard. I mean really hard.
This is the fourth instalment of a blog series I’m writing about Nakama, which I’ve used for leaderboards in our first game Washed Up!. Part 1 covers what Nakama is, and why I chose it over other options Part 2 ran you through setting up a basic service you can use for development & testing Part 3 showed you how to run Cockroach in secure mode This part deals with how to set up SSL on the Nakama server.
This is the third instalment of a blog series I’m writing about Nakama, which I’ve been using for leaderboards in our first game Washed Up!. Part 1 covers what Nakama is, and why I chose it over other options Part 2 ran you through setting up a basic service you can use for development & testing The configuration at the end of Part 2 is not ideal; it works, but the database is running in ‘insecure mode’ and there’s no SSL between clients and the server, which could leave it vulnerable to interception attacks.
Part 1 of this blog series talked about what Nakama is, and why I chose it over other options for running leaderboards in our very first game, Washed Up!. Now, let’s get down to the nitty gritty of actually setting it up. A caveat The service you’ll have at the end of following this post is only really suitable for testing. There are some additional steps required to make the service more secure & resilient, that you’ll absolutely want to do before going to production.
I recently needed to set up a leaderboard service for our first game, Washed Up! (coming soon, join our mailing list to stay informed). I ended up deploying the open source server Nakama on Google Compute Engine, and I learned a bunch of things along the way, which I figured could well be helpful for others. This is going to be a short series of posts since there’s quite a lot to cover.
If you asked me my opinion of Dark Souls two weeks ago, I would have said, diplomatically, that it was a much loved game which was just not for me. In truth though, I hated Dark Souls. My experience with it had been universally bad. I originally tried to play it back on the Xbox 360, a few months after it came out. I lasted about 3 hours, spread over a few days - a series of mini-rage quits terminated each individual session after about an hour, leading to a final catastrophic rage quit when I was killed by an invader just as I had struggled to a point I hadn’t been able to get to before.
This is a bit of an aside for this blog, hope you like it! I’ve been making my own bread for almost 3 years now; it was something I wanted to try as soon as we got back into our newly renovated house after it being a building site for a year. Marie tried to keep my expectations realistic; our perception was that making bread is quite difficult and previous attempts with a bread maker had been pretty uninspiring.
This week, I officially cut the corporate umbilical and am out on my own again. I’m grateful for my time with Atlassian, which is a great company filled with truly excellent people who I’m going to miss. The fact that I stayed for 6 years when my pitch to myself at acquisition time was ‘stick with it for 12 months and then see how you feel’ is indicative of that.
This week I wanted a toon-style non-photorealistic render, which is something I’ve done before but not for a while, and never in Unity. I’d been playing with the Standard Shader, the physically based pipeline which has support for quite a lot of good stuff like normal / specular / occlusion maps, and kinda just wanted that plus a toon ramp. I figured I’d check out what Unity already had first.