I only started analysing web traffic on the Ogre site by country properly since the server move yesterday, using the free version of Maxmind’s IP-to-country lookup GeoLite. Whilst not quite as accurate or as detailed (ie you don’t get City locations) as their commercial offerings, it claims 98% reliability for countries which is good enough for me. I’ve used simple IP range lookups before (e.g. to automatically redirect book links to Amazon.
I’ve been getting more an more frustrated lately with the speed of my internet connection. For example, when I was doing an Ogre release recently with the help of 2 other team members, we all started uploading at the same time. My colleagues were complaining that their uploads were going slower than usual, to which I asked how fast that was - and it turned out it was about 15 times higher the best speed I normally get - and they were used to getting about 20-25 times my top speed.
The new Ogre site is finally live on the new server and bearing up well. That’s the good news - the bad news is that Opera is yanking my chain. I used to hate IE6. I still do, actually, but at least I generally know how to address it’s foibles and that people are moving away from it. Opera, however, occupies the unique position of being regularly updated but still interpreting CSS layout styles differently to every other modern browser.
So, I finally finished the final touches on the new server for ogre3d.org today. I’d hoped to be at this stage mid last week, but an unfortunate base OS reinstall delayed that. Now we’re back in business and ready for the switchover tomorrow morning, I thought I might take a few minutes to go over the setup we’ve got. Physical Hardware: Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.13GHz), 1GB RAM, 80GB SATA Hardware RAID 1
It has struck me lately that some elements of the games industry appear to be becoming a mite pretentious and self-absorbed in recent times. It seems like some people are starting to believe their own hype about games being a bigger industry than Hollywood, and that the whole world better goddam take them seriously, right now. Presumably with a stamp of the feet. Case in point is Chris Hecker’s rant at the GDC last week.
The start of my week hasn’t gone that well at all. Firstly, I went to the dentist for a checkup which went rapidly downhill - unfortunately I had impacted wisdom teeth which were removed several years ago, but they left behind some hidden problems which were missed or deemed not serious enough until I had a routine x-ray on Monday, at which point my dentist says it now needs sorting out.
As names go, it wouldn’t be a bad one for a bodyguard, given that it might conjure the image of a 7ft wall of meat from the former Eastern Bloc. I had to change the virus software on my main machine this week - or rather my Norton subscription had expired and since I’d become aware for a while that it has had a significant fall from grace in recent years I went looking for something else.
I always take these rankings with a bit of a pinch of salt, but it was a nice surprise as I went to check out the download stats that we’ve just about sneaked into the top 20 ‘Most Active’ projects list for the last 7 days. I’m not really sure how they measure that, and I know we lost out for a while by moving our website away from Sourceforge’s hosting, but I’m willing to allow myself a little bit of satisfaction anyway, bearing in mind that we’re in some good company in that list, and Sourceforge host over 140,000 projects.
So it’s been over 6 months since the EC ruled that Microsoft had to share details of its protocols with other vendors in order to allow interpoerability, although it left the door open for MS to charge a fee for this privilege. MS came in just in time and delivered a 1500-page document explaining the protocols and came up with a 3-level pricing structure (bronze, silver and gold) which determined how many of Microsoft’s ‘innovations’ you were getting in those protocol definitions.
Hey, this is pretty cool. Again it came up on the OGRE forums - CNN were running a report on a ‘Seeing Machine’ designed to help people with impaired vision, and it turns out that at least some of the software they’re running is using OGRE - most obviously the ‘virtual gallery’ although I’ve spotted the tell-tale OGRE debug panel on some other shots too. There’s some more detail on this project, together with videos showing more of OGRE on MIT’s website.