Part 1 of this blog series talked about what Nakama is, and why I chose it over other options for running leaderboards in our very first game, Washed Up!. Now, let’s get down to the nitty gritty of actually setting it up. A caveat The service you’ll have at the end of following this post is only really suitable for testing. There are some additional steps required to make the service more secure & resilient, that you’ll absolutely want to do before going to production.
I recently needed to set up a leaderboard service for our first game, Washed Up! (coming soon, join our mailing list to stay informed). I ended up deploying the open source server Nakama on Google Compute Engine, and I learned a bunch of things along the way, which I figured could well be helpful for others. This is going to be a short series of posts since there’s quite a lot to cover.
This week, I officially cut the corporate umbilical and am out on my own again. I’m grateful for my time with Atlassian, which is a great company filled with truly excellent people who I’m going to miss. The fact that I stayed for 6 years when my pitch to myself at acquisition time was ‘stick with it for 12 months and then see how you feel’ is indicative of that.
Recently I found myself wanting to expose a bunch of game parameters for our latest game project to my wife so she could easily edit them, to play with the difficulty and feel of it. I didn’t want her to have to use Unity, I just wanted her to be able to edit a simple file (while the game is running in this case). Bring on the text Although Unity’s own JsonUtility is a very useful tool for text exchange, JSON isn’t very approachable for a non-developer, given its very strict syntactic requirements.
How about that 2016 eh? I mean, leaving aside that a couple of mature western democracies deciding that it was well past time they got a little ker-azy and lit themselves on fire in case it might distract from other problems. Ignoring the 2016 “Cirque de Caca” thing, it’s been an interesting year for me. I decided to try being a game developerabout 3 months ago, and that’s been a fun learning experience so far.
TL;DR: SpriteRecolour project page Download binaries (Mac, Win x86/x64, Linux x86/x64) SpriteRecolour example project in Unity Background While doing 2D gamedev work this week, it came to the front of my mind how nice it would be able to easily have multiple colour variations of sprites, without having to have multiple copies of the sprites themselves. There are various ways to do this, but the one I wanted to explore was a classic palette swap technique; the sort of thing we would have used in the 16-bit days.
In my recent post A new journeyI announced that I was moving into game development. Some people immediately followed up with questions about what engine I was intending to use, because developers 😉 Plot Twist! So let’s get this out of the way early: I won’t be using Ogre 😱 Hold your incredulity for a moment. 😀 The reason is not because Ogre isn’t great; since I retired, the team has been doing some amazing work.
I’ve thought about having a proper go at making games of my own for quite a while. There’s always been some reason why I’ve never quite gotten around to doing it seriously; all good reasons but when you line them up in serial, you suddenly realise a lot of time has passed. I’ve decided it’s time I stopped just thinking about it. As of today, I’m stepping down from most of my other responsibilities to dedicate serious time to making games.